New macbook, to buy or not to buy?

Whilst my late 2014 macbook pro is still doing bits, I’ve been thinking about when it will be time to upgrade. I’m struggling to justify spending the (overpriced imo) money on a newer macbook and I’m thinking to just build a pc instead. Anyone else upgraded their macbook recently?

I use a MacBook, and I haven’t recently upgraded, but I work with people that have a mixture of devices. The difference I notice of people using Windows machines compared to MacBooks is the speed that people are able to get up and running on a day to day basis. MacBook is basically open and go.

I’ve had my MacBook for around 6 years now, and I’ve had no issues with it, and I imagine it would easily last another 5 years (as long as I clear some space!). PCs always seem to slow down over time, but then they are much easier to upgrade.

MacBooks are getting extremely expensive, and I struggle to think what I’ll do when it comes to upgrading, but I think I’d just take a deep breath and buy a MacBook, because it will last and I’ll continue to be productive.

1 Like

See that’s the thing, mine is 4/5 years old and it’s going just fine which for me fully justifies the price I paid for it. I know a lot of people complain about the keyboards on the new models but I rarely (if ever!) type directly on my macbook.

If it’s meeting your needs right now, then I say save your funds until such time as you actually do need to upgrade. I certainly would hold off on a current-gen model as an optional purchase with the expectation that they’ll (hopefully) properly address the keyboard longevity issues with the next release.

I mainly use an external keyboard too, but I’d rather have the peace of mind knowing that it’s not going to fail on me sooner than expected